25 April 2013
It’s another sunny – and moderately warm – NBN Thursday in the valley.
Last night, was not only Movie Date Night, but it was Sara!’s turn to pick a movie. The only things that she would say about the night’s fare was that it required – REQUIRED – popcorn and that it was “the greatest movie ever made.” I was intrigued by these comments, to say the least.
After a messy dinner (Two toddlers with Greek food… and rice. Do the math.) and some clean-up, it was time for the movie. And I was, to say the least, surprised by her choice:
That’s right: Superman. My all-time favorite movie.
Best. Wife. Ever.
So we sat on the couch, ate popcorn, and watched Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman, Margot Kidder and company bring a small slice of the DC Universe to life. And, once again, I was transported to a happy place in my childhood. I was also able to pick out a few things that I’d never paid attention or associated with the movie before:
- Faster than a speeding bullet: Clark snatches the bullet out of mid-air during the mugging.
- More powerful than a locomotive: This one comes up twice:
- Teenaged Clark is races the train through rural Kansas
- Superman subs in for a missing rail as an Amtrak train approaches
- Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound: This one’s a given – he flies throughout the second half of the movie.
- Who can change the course of mighty rivers: Not so much changing the course of a river, but he creates a makeshift dam to stop a river from destroying a town
- Bend steel in his bare hands: Again, another two-fer:
- He tears the door to Lex Luthor’s lair off it’s hinges
- He tears off the door to Lois’ rental car after the California earthquake
At the end of the movie, Sara! admitted: “You know, I hadn’t thought about it the last time we watched it, but that was actually a pretty good movie.” (I simply nodded and smiled at this. Hey, I’m biased… not stupid.) I did have to correct Sara!’s misconception of the “spinning the world in reverse” visual and explain that it wasn’t him turning the world backwards, but that it was simply a representation of him going back in time. (For which there are a great many references in the comics…)
All-in-all, it was a fantastic movie date night.
- Little Girls Are Better at Designing Superheroes Than You
- By way of Sara!: What Happens If You Text Your Parents Pretending To Be a Drug Dealer?
- After what felt like slogging through the first ten chapters, I find that I’m kind of enjoying The Pillars of Creation. Go figure.
- How 99.9% of people judge the quality of their coffee
- Being Trapped in a Building Seems Less Scary Than This Robot Snake Rescuing You
- ‘Star Wars’ Gets Dubbed Into Navajo