Thursday – 05 January 2017
Welcome to 2017 (five days after the fact…)! So far, my fingers have cooperated in correctly typing/writing “2017,” when writing the date.
Long story, short version: Christmas and New Year were good…
…even though I had to come in to work on the last day of my break to – literally – flip a switch. Twice.
At ridiculous o’clock on 02 Jan, I got a call from our NOC saying that they’d lost the heartbeat for our fax server. (Yes, fax. Yes, 21st Century. *shrug* Don’t ask me.) I said that I’d try to access it remotely… at a reasonable hour. After the sun was up. And the office was closed on the second, anyway.
Sometime later in the morning, I logged in and tried to access the server. No go, Flight. That meant that I had two courses of action:
- Go in and reset it,
- Let it swing until Tuesday morning.
The problem with Option 2 (which would have been my preference) was that our finance department actually receives invoices via fax. So… Option 1 it was. I somehow managed to convince Sara and Team DiVa to make an excursion out of it. (This turned out to be a “good” thing.)
Went to the office. Went into server room. Flipped switch. Flipped switch again. Left server room. Called the NOC to confirm that the alert had actually cleared. Got ready to leave.
Got the building lobby and realized I’d apparently left my house and car keys upstairs in the office. *sigh* Fine. I asked Sara to get the girls in the car while I ran upstairs to retrieve them…
…only to find, once I’d gotten to my office’s elevator lobby, that I’d left my badge in the office, as well.
::: braincramp :::
Fortunately, there were a few people from our finance department in the office; one of them let me in. I went to my desk to get my badge and keys, only to find them suspisciously not… there…
Yep, I’d locked them – badge-locked, of course – in the server room. Resigned, I headed back downstairs. Fortunately, we’d taken Sara’s car and she had her keys – my car and the key to it were still at home.
Ridiculous, but it makes for a good “At least you didn’t…,” laugh-at-yourself kind of story.
Other than that, things have been kind of quiet. I’m good with that.
Oh, and it snowed last night. About four-ish inches in the valley. It made this morning’s commute “fun.” And by “fun,” I mean “slow and annoying.” On the plus side, it did make the air a little less chewy.
- By way of Mike (and supported by the Council for Better Driving): How America Got Addicted to Road Salt – And Why It’s Become a Problem
- After a fitful first attempt many years ago, I’m currently reading the Dragonriders of Pern series.
- I’ve been on a bit of a Crüxshadows kick the past few days. This is not a complaint.
- SR-71s were made to go fast, right…?
- It looks as though The Magic School Bus will be returning to screens, via Netflix. Team DiVa will be happy to learn of this.
- I might have known this at one point, but was recently reminded of it: Little Richard did the theme song for The Magic School Bus.
- Speaking of Team DiVa…
- Watch Justin Lin’s Live-Action ‘Jetsons‘-Inspired Commercial
And, that’s a wrap for now.